The Medical Center's Endoscopy department provides specialized procedures used to diagnose problems related to the lungs, stomach and intestines including the following:
- Problems with swallowing
- Abdominal pain
- Intestinal bleeding
- Esophagitis and heartburn
- Colon cancer
- Bleeding lesions
- Chronic diarrhea
Procedures used in the area of Endoscopy include:
- gastroscopy for viewing the interior of the stomach
- colonoscopy for viewing the inside of the lower digestive tract. Colonscopies are used to screen for colon cancer and to help find the source of other problems including bleeding.
- bronchoscopy, Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy™ and Endobronchial Ultrasound Bronchoscopy for diagnosing lung problems
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
for viewing the common bile duct to help locate and treat blockages. It may also be used to locate pancreas problems. ERCPs are used to diagnose such problem as gallstones and pancreatic cancer.
- esophageal manometry to measure if the esophagus is working properly
The Endoscopy department also provides capsule endoscopy in addition to the BRAVO procedure as a diagnosis check for gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD.